The Santander Free Trade Zone, from a historical point of view, arose as the natural evolution of the old Santander Bonded Warehouse, adapting to the new times and emerging markets. This was founded by Decree of August 11, 1918, as an instrument to facilitate international trade. It was part of the Community customs territory separated from the rest of it, into which all kinds of goods could be introduced, whatever the quantity, nature, origin, provenance, or destination, without prejudice to the prohibitions or restrictions that could be established for reasons of public order, morality and public safety, protection of health, etc.
These goods could remain for an unlimited time period until the economic operator wished to give them another definitive destination (customs procedure, re-export, abandonment, etc.), and were not subject to import duties, internal taxes or commercial policy measures during their stay in the free warehouse.
In virtue of order HAP/449/2016, of March 30, the constitution of the current Santander Free Trade Zone was authorized, thus revoking the concession of the Santander Free Warehouse.
Apart from the possibilities offered by the Santander Bonded Warehouse: storage services, handling, maintenance of goods, loading, unloading, consolidation, deconsolidation, classification or, in general, simple usual manipulations, in a zone or Bonded Warehouse any kind of goods could be introduced directly and, as a rule, with a great freedom of customs formalities, except in certain cases.
With this new conversion to Free Trade Zone, not only are these advantages maintained, but they are increased with very promising prospects for the future.